The Gesualdo Six at the Roman Baths
This event is free to watch but please consider donating to Bath Festivals, registered charity no. 801617. Your donation will support future festivals and creative learning projects with young people in the local community. Thank you.
By the Waters of Babylon: The Gesualdo Six at the Roman Baths
An amazing opportunity to experience the hottest choral group as they perform in the astonishing setting of Bath’s Roman Baths.
They perform a programme of ravishing a cappella music around the theme of water. Italy is represented by choral masterpieces by Palestrina, Monteverdi and Gesualdo.
Closer to home they sing English renaissance music by Byrd, Campion and Tomkins as well as contemporary works and arrangements by David Bednall, Cristen Holmes, Vaughan-Williams and the group’s director Owain Park. The evening fades away with Wilbye’s miraculous ‘Draw on Sweet Night’.
‘The Gesualdo Six are outstanding, shifting impeccably from Renaissance polyphony to twenty-first century music.’
- Seen and Heard International
The Gesualdo Six directed by Owain Park
By the Waters of Babylon
- William Byrd This sweet and merry month of May
- David Bednall Put out into the deep
- Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina Super flumina Babylonis
- John Taverner Quemadmodum
- Hildegard Deus enim rorem in illas misit
- Thomas Campion As by the streames of Babilon
- Michael Praetorius An Wasserflüssen Babylon
- Christen Holmes Summer Shower
- Thomas Tallis If ye love me
- Manuel Cardoso Aquam quam ego dabo
- John Wilbye Draw on, sweet night
- arr. Ralph Vaughan Williams Loch Lomond
- arr. Owain Park Botany Bay
Follow on Twitter: @TheGesualdoSix
This event has been generously supported by Captain Brian Woodford